Embezzlement, Midland Texas
If you are facing charges of embezzlement, it's important to know that the State of Texas takes this white collar crime very serious. Right away, you will need a criminal defense attorney who can protect your rights. Some examples of embezzlement may include:
- Hiding or changing the value of records in bookkeeping
- Missing cash deposits in business
- Depositing money into your own bank account from your employers account
- Trying to hide where deposited funds came from
You may find it a very emotional experience, especially when dealing with your ex-employer and co-workers. A good criminal defense lawyer like Kirk & Williams can help you right away deal with any issues of hostility you are feeling.
What Can Happen If You Are Convicted?
Depending on the amount of money involved, a conviction of embezzlement can be charged as anything from a misdemeanor to a felony. Here is the list of fines defined by the law in the State of Texas.
- Class C misdemeanor (less than $50): a maximum fine of $500
- Class B misdemeanor ($50 to $499): a maximum fine of $2,000 and/or up to 180 days in jail
- Class A misdemeanor ($500 to $1,499): a maximum fine of $4,000 and/or up to one year in jail
- State jail felony ($1,500 to $19,999): a maximum fine of $10,000 and/or 180 days to two years in state jail
- Third-degree felony ($20,000 to $99,999): a maximum fine of $10,000 and/or two to 10 years in prison
- Second-degree felony ($100,000 to $199,999): a maximum fine of $10,000 and/or two to 20 years in prison
- First-degree felony ($200,000 or more): a maximum fine of $10,000 and/or five to 99 years in prison
The Importance of a Local Attorney
Hiring a local attorney can be a valuable decision. A local attorney knows the local court system and how it operates. He knows how strong your case is. He knows how your type of offense is judged in local courts and how to defend you. And most importantly, a local attorney like Kirk & Williams knows if a local judge would consider some alternative to being charged on a criminal level, such as restitution.
Contact the Law Offices of Kirk & Williams
We are here to answer any questions concerning drug crimes.
We want to invite you to a free and confidential consultation. Call 432-687-5035 or email us.
Defense Against White Collar Crime Charges